Who we are today is more important than who we were nearly two centuries ago, yet today we are the progeny of our forefathers and foremothers in the faith. Though much has changed over the decades, our faith in God, our desire to live as God would have us to live, and our ministry to the community and to the world remain constant.
On June 28, 1834, twenty-five believers met to organize a Baptist church in Danville. The church met in temporary quarters on Craghead Street until their first church building, located at the corner of Ridge and Patton streets, was completed in 1836.
As the congregation continued to grow and more space was needed, the church constructed the present building on Main Street, the dedication service being held on October 4, 1885.
First Baptist Church has always been energetically involved in mission work, both as individual members serving the community in various capacities, and the church as a whole being Christ to the community and to the world.
A review of budgets over the decades shows that in some years, more than half of the donations made to the church went to missions, and First Baptist was instrumental in founding at least nine other Baptist churches within twenty miles of Danville.
Just as our forebears left us a proud legacy, we continue to serve Jesus today, and we invite others to join us and to use their God-given talents in building the Kingdom of God.